WHAT IS THE ETHICAL TRADING INITIATIVE AUDIT?
The Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) is an alliance of companies, trade unions and voluntary organisations that share a commitment to improved working conditions throughout the supply chain. An ETI audit will inspect your processes, suppliers and facilities against the nine principles of the ETI Code, as well as ensuring you are compliant with relevant national and international legislation. Being able to demonstrate that your brand follows ETI standards provides consumers with the confidence that you trade in a fair and ethical manner.
WHY IS AN ETI CODE INSPECTION IMPORTANT?
The Ethical Trading Initiative identifies and promotes good practices in employment conditions in line with the ETI Base Code, which was negotiated and agreed upon by the founding trade union, NGO and corporate members of the ETI. Auditing for the ETI code offers multiple benefits:
- Provides evidence that your company has a commitment to ethical trading, which is increasingly valued by consumers
- Encourage improved trading practices across industry and support workers’ rights
- Ensures you can legally claim your products are ‘fair trade’
- Gain a competitive edge by demonstrating your ethical stance
- Minimise risks in your production facilities, reduce staff turnover and boost productivity thanks to more engaged employees
TÜV SÜD OFFERS EXPERT ETI STANDARDS TESTING
TÜV SÜD is an internationally recognised and accredited auditing and testing body and has long expertise certifying companies for ETI compliance. We have a global network of highly skilled auditors who can monitor and assess your company’s production processes and facilities to ensure they are compliant with relevant ETI standards wherever in the world you are located.
We serve as a one-stop service provider for companies requiring social compliance programmes and management systems standards, integrating ETI audits with other management systems such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, WRAP, SA8000®, BSCI and CoC.
TÜV SÜD’S PROCESS FOR ETI CODE AUDITING
We audit your company and your supply chain against the nine principles of the ETI Base Code:
1. Employment is freely chosen
2. Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining is respected
3. Working conditions are safe and hygienic
4. Child labour shall not be used
5. Living wages are paid
6. Working hours are not excessive
7. No discrimination is practiced
8. Regular employment is provided
9. No harsh or inhuman treatment is allowed